Research Associate and Team Leader
Mr. Sharathkumar K. Mendon received his B.Sc. degree in Chemistry and B. Sc. (Tech.) degree in Coatings from the University of Bombay in 1985 and 1988, respectively. He started his industrial career with Nerolac Paints in Bombay soon thereafter and worked in their decorative, industrial and coil coatings divisions. He joined the Thames Research Group at Southern Miss in 1995 where he now leads the coatings team and manages industrial projects related to coatings.
Welcome to the Thames-Rawlins Research Group
Here at TRRG we are involved in a variety of polymer related research interests including:
- environmentally responsible monomer and polymer synthesis from biobased derivatives and its incorporation into coatings and adhesives for wood composites,
- develop zero-VOC flame-retardant coatings,
- utilizing enzymes to develop functional films,
- developing novel copolymers with morphological control for photovoltaic cells,
- formulation and development of high-solids and waterborne coatings and cast elastomers,
- investigating mechanisms of corrosion prevention and role of interfacial adhesion in corrosion; develop methods to facilitate early detection of corrosion,
- understanding mechanisms of material distortion and failure with respect to molecular architecture and morphology in composites,
- synthesizing and evaluating healing agents for epoxy matrix composites,
- developing ultra-high performance carbon fiber composites.
The TRRG also maintains a large array of analytical and mechanical testing equipment for the characterization of polymers and forensic and failure analysis of polymer related systems. Equipment capabilities include DSC, TGA, TMA, DMA, GPC, GC/MS, LC/MS, FTIR, NIR, confocal Raman microscopy, confocal laser scanning microscopy, digital microscopy, and material testing systems.
Graduate and undergraduate students are provided opportunities for industrial and international internships. The Thames-Rawlins Research Group supports the coatings industry via problem solving, testing, evaluation, formulations, short courses, long- or short-term contract research and development, and technology reduction-to practice.